[plug] Installing on ATA100?

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Mon Mar 12 12:04:29 WST 2001

I recently attempted to install linux (tried RedHat 7 and Mandrake 7.2) on
a nice new Athlon system 1GHz system (ASUS motherboard, model and chipset
not at hand at the moment) for a nephew and ran into the no devices on
which to install type message. (ie linux just doesn't see the ATA100
devices)

Have looked at the HPT366 mini howto and will try the install hints there
but was also considering tweaking the BIOS back to a lower UDMA mode in an
attempt to get an install going from CD, then compiling a 2.4 kernel with
hopefully useful drivers (haven't checked driver support for the
southbridge chipset yet - that's another "bridge" to cross :-).

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences or
any advice to offer. eg is changing the UDMA mode going to mess with the
existing Win98 install in any way (or even going to help me)?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia