[plug] Testing RAM

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Mar 13 21:04:39 WST 2001

Hiya guys,

Just wondering if anyone could point me to any tools that I can use (under
Linux of course) for testing system RAM. I seem to have a dodgy 64M PC100
SDRAM chip and I just want to conclusively say it is a RAM problem.

Originally Windows 98 on this dual boot machine would fail with an error
that TechNet indicated could be due to bad RAM. I thought I would check in
Linux to see if I had any problems and found that my once stable machine has
become quite unstable with X crashing whenever I do something memory
intensive (like run Netscape). While this is not conclusive (in part due to
Netscape's buggy reputation), I am very much leaning towards this being the
problem.

So I am going to try and swap the RAM out and see whether this fixes the
problem or not. Just wanting to use the experience to try out any hardware
diags/memory checking tools.

Michael Hunt
West Africa.

P.S. The BIOS doesn't do extended memory checking (you know the long way vs.
the quick way) so I haven't got that option either. May switch it to a
machine that does though !!!!