[plug] Testing RAM

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Mar 13 21:17:11 WST 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Michael Hunt wrote:
> P.S. The BIOS doesn't do extended memory checking (you know the long way vs.
> the quick way) so I haven't got that option either. May switch it to a
> machine that does though !!!!

Michael,

Surely if it takes PC100 RAM it'd have the option to do a full test on
RAM? ie, disable an option something like "Fast POST" in BIOS setup or in
some it's "Disable fast POST"? I'm not sure if this is the same as
extended memory checking, if it doesn't check extended memory at all then
it's one strange BIOS, or just one I've yet to come across.

Alternately, a quick search for 'memory system test' on freshmeat.net
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=memory+system+test leads to several, one
promising one is http://freshmeat.net/projects/memtest86/

Regards,

Bernard.