[plug] DRI/X4.0/Matrox

Simon Scott (SSC) simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Mar 14 10:32:21 WST 2001

Hi all

Im currently running Mandrake v8.0 beta, which is basically kernel
2.4something, XFree 4.01 and KDE 2.

I have an Athlon 1Gig with a VIA chipset, and a Matrox Millenium G400 32M
Dual head card.

Its currently win98/linux dual boot. 3D performance under windows is
outstanding, it doesnt skip a frame on Unreal Tournament with 1024x768x16.

Anyway, my questions are:

I want to enable DRI/gl under X. I have read some docs somewhere about
modifying the config so it loads glx and mga (from memory). I also want to
enable the AGP port (I think otherwise it treats it as PCI?) thru agpgart.o
on the 2.4 kernel.

Following some leads I found, I ended up loading the agpgart module, and
modifying the X config so it loads glx or something similar and the mga.o
module.

How do I test that I now have hardware assisted 3d? is there some X 3d
benchmarking software around? How do I check that linux is now utilising the
AGP port?

Does anyone have a similar setup and can share their experience? Has anyone
found any doco specific to X4.01/DRI/AGP?

Thanks a bunch

Simon Scott
Developer
FlexiPlan Australia Ltd