[plug] Ram use

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Mar 14 12:57:50 WST 2001

Here's one for those in the know..
I have a small system. 386sx, 8meg ram no hd boot off floppy
into a 4mb ramdisk, 2.2 kernel.
Now, when linux loads a program it mmap()'s the whole file into
ram, and only loads the required pages when they fault.
In this case, all the files are already in ram, so they should
not use any of my free ram by copying the data from the ramdisk
to the free ram portion of memory. Correct?
I understand copy on write, but as none of the programs/libs are
being written to, they should not change.

Sound reasonable ?

--
Brad....
                   /"\