[plug] Network question ICP query setting to 0 ?

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Mar 14 13:56:25 WST 2001

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Mark Saxon wrote:
> My ISP has recently changed their proxy server and I have not been able
> connect to the proxy for the last few days. This is only on the http
> port and
>  only effects linux, I actually booted windows to test it.

I assume from the context you're referring to your web browser proxy
connection, as opposed to some other proxy (eg. Squid)? If so, and you're
using Auto settings in the browser, try manually setting the proxy values. A
DNS issue may be resolved by entering the IP of the proxy in the
relevant settings box instead of the FQDN, or by adding an entry to your
/etc/hosts for the new proxy.

> The advice I have is to change "ICP query" value from 3130 to 0.
> But can't find where this value is located.

This advice only makes sense if you are attempting to use your ISP's proxy as
a parent for a proxy you're running on your local machine.

> I'm running ppp version 2.4 on a standard Mandrake 2.2.17-21 kernel.
> I've been trawling through the ppp howto for the last couple of hours.

I'd be surprised if you find anything related.

> Can someone enlighten me?

I hope I have!

Regards,
Steve