[plug] reverse DNS and IP lookup

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Mar 14 18:20:47 WST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, James Bromberger wrote:

> man nslookup

It wasnt easy to find the "-type=PTR" ! Sometimes Linux docs suck.

> man dig

Thats a new one on me. I found the '-x' option easily. Ta.
And it gives the SOA when the actual address has no reverse
mapping. Excellent! Problem solved.

> man host

Another weird BSD command. Oh well, my path contains over 2000
programs. I'll never learn them all :(

> >  And if DNS fails, is there an on-line database to say who has been
> > allocated a given address?
>
> www.aunic.net

According to that page, they do domain names, not IP address allocation.

> When DNS fails... well... most ervery DNS server should know the IP

Sorry, I meant "when the DNS database does not have a reverse mapping for
the given IP address ... "

thanks, and thanks to Colin in Seth Efrica,

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--