[plug] Running root commands

connell connellp at wantree.com.au
Thu Mar 15 21:07:07 WST 2001

Hi folks,
        Well, after much tinkering I've finally commissioned my linux
masquerading firewall (486, 36MB RAM, RH6.2 with 2.2.26 kernel, no k/b
or mouse, samba, ssh2).  However, I have a problem in allowing the other
users and computers (Win98, Me and 2kPro) on my home network to start
and stop the connection to our ISP as every thing has to go thru a SSH2
client window.  I had thought of creating a logon and a logoff account
that would run the necessary scripts and then exit.  However, it
requires root to run /usr/sbin/pppd which these accounts aren't.  I
think setuid might be what I need but the setuid man page just leaves me
scratching my head.  Any suggestions?,
        After I get this firewall bedded down, I can look at turning one
of the 98 machines into a linux workstation.

Paul