[plug] Running root commands

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Mar 16 09:40:26 WST 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, connell wrote:

> and stop the connection to our ISP as every thing has to go thru a SSH2

Why not allow telnet/rlogin? You can set the firewall rules to only allow
it from the local ethernet, and not modem.

> requires root to run /usr/sbin/pppd which these accounts aren't.  I

Use set-uid on pppd, and group (not other) execute permission.
pppd is designed for that.

> think setuid might be what I need but the setuid man page just leaves me
> scratching my head.  Any suggestions?,

chmod u+s pppd  - then it will run with root permissions, assuming root is
the owner. Its the sort of thing you should be reading a Unix book on,
maybe, rather than man pages.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--