[plug] agp/pci interrupt problems

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Mar 16 13:49:17 WST 2001

"Simon Scott (SSC)" wrote:

> Everything works fine. No more slow-downs, stalls, or opengl crashes. I even
> installed Quake 3 for linux and get a similar framerate to windows (I was
> quite impressed) altho mouse movement doesnt feel as smooth.

Congrats!! You may want to try tweaking mouse settings in your X config file.
Me, I've recently got USB Mouse working and it is noticeably smoother (even in
desktop uses). How did I *ever* survive before with a serial ball mouse? ^_^

> As I said, I installed Quake 3. Initially it wouldnt boot because it couldnt
> get the sound device (Im running arts sound server under KDE 2), so I ran it
> with 'artsdsp quake3' and the game worked, but still no sound.... looking
> thru the arts doco I found the option '-m emulate memory mapping (for
> quake)' so 'artsdsp -m quake3' gave me quake 3 with sound. The delay on the
> sound was unbearable so I reduced the latency (buffer settings in the sound
> server setup under KDE2) and now it works 100%.

Eeek! The joys of having to use arts... I highly recommend getting an SBLive
(can get a Value for around $100), and setting it up properly. Then multiple
apps can grab /dev/dsp, without having to fiddle with arts...

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :