[plug] zsh propaganda :)

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 19 15:45:46 WST 2001

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 02:43:47PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > I certainly found out quite a few things I didn't know about zsh (and
> > had a few things explained that I've never really understood), and I've
> > been using zsh for years now.
>
> Is is that obscure? (-:

Okay, okay. :-PP

I didn't know that zsh could do colour(s) in the prompt (although I have
since discovered that I prefer my prompt dull and uncolourful), and I'd
never really understood the scope of the programmable completion (translate
that as: "I haven't read the PC section of the zsh manual more than a
couple of times.").

I've used a few of the simpler and more useful tricks for a while - like
the obvious one of only completing on available directories when you've
started with "cd" - but hadn't thought any more of it. The IBM article does
a good job of explaining this particular feature and suggesting useful ways
in which you can use it.

Anyway. All you bash/tcsh/ksh people should try zsh out. Remember, a change
is as good as a holiday, and who knows - you may never want to come back... :)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

26. You check your mail. It says "no new messages." So you check it again.