[plug] Installing Debian

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Sun Mar 18 23:57:42 WST 2001

Hey all,

I'm having trouble installing Debian 2.2r2 and have two quesitons:

1- If you install the OS to boot from a floppy and not the HDD (I
didn't want LILO to mess up my previous RH lilo which is working well
for RH and Windows) how can one go about changing things so it will
boot from the HDD (assuming RH LILO is configured correctly)?

2- I've tried to install Debian 2.2r2 and can install to a terminal
interface but X just won't start.  I've tried configuring X, but it
still won't work.  I get the same error after doing that that I got
when installing Debian and it gets to the X server setup:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
Unable to communicate with X server!

During the intsall process, this message is followed by these:

The /etc/X11/XF86Config File was not created.
Press [Enter] to switch to graphics mode.

This may take a while...
Press [Enter] to continue...

Then I get the "_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno =
111" error about 6 times, and the whole thing repeats.  When trying to
startx after using the configuration program, which runs to
completion, I only get the first two lines above then I am returned to
a command prompt.

What's happening here?  How do I get around this?

TIA,

Ari