[plug] Modems & X

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Mar 20 14:38:37 WST 2001

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 05:26:44PM +1100, Campbell, David (Ex AS17) wrote:
> What applications that spring to mind that could compress the X bandwith
> across the modem (the remote end is a POSIX but non-Linux OS, the
> application is heavy on the Motif widgets if that is any help).

If you can use ssh, it can do X11 forwarding, and will also compress the
data stream (its stdin, stdout, the X11 connection and any other port
forwarding it's doing).  The ssh man page is a pretty good source of
info (it came from OpenBSD, who are very keen to keep their man pages up
to date and informative.)

While I have used ssh to do X11 forwarding, I haven't tried the
compression option, and can't tell you how much difference it will make.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any
resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.  The
question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them
is left as an exercise for the reader.  The question of the existence of
the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.  (A
discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope
of this article.)