[plug] Installing Debian

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Wed Mar 21 02:28:30 WST 2001

Original message from: Matt Kemner <zombie at wasp.net.au>

>Hi Ari
>Copy the kernel (most likely called "linux") to your RedHat /boot
>partition and add a stanza like you did for Mandrake.

The kernel from the cdrom or the kernel from the boot floppy, or will
they be the same?

>That is a generic error saying "It didn't work" - you need to provide
the
>real error message, which should be contained in the lines above
these
>ones.

The errors I put in the email are the only ones it gives me and it
happens as described.  It repeats the errno 111 message for half a
dozen lines, gives the other messages I typed, then does it all again
and again.  Nothing is different from the first to the last (the last
being the point where I log onto another virtual terminal and reboot
the system and try something new).

>What are you using to configure X?
>XF86Setup is the easiest to use, but may not work with all chipsets.

Tried this one, no luck.  I'm surprised it doesn't recognise my
Diamond Viper 550 (TNT) video card...or maybe it did and I'm just not
remembering after having studied so much psychology recently...

>"apt-get install xf86setup" if you want to try it.

Que es este?  (translated: what is this?)

>Otherwise, try "xf86config" which is the old text-based way to
configure X

I *think* that this one wouldn't even run...

Ari