[plug] Installing Debian

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Mar 21 10:34:48 WST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Ari Finander wrote:

> The kernel from the cdrom or the kernel from the boot floppy, or will
> they be the same?

They are the same.

> The errors I put in the email are the only ones it gives me and it
> happens as described.  It repeats the errno 111 message for half a
> dozen lines, gives the other messages I typed, then does it all again
> and again.

OK run this:

startx >& ~/X.out

and then when it starts looping those errors hit control-C
and search the X.out file in your home directory for a more meaningful
error message.

> Tried this one, no luck.  I'm surprised it doesn't recognise my
> Diamond Viper 550 (TNT) video card...

If it's a TNT card I think you will need to download & install the Riva X
server, because it is not free software and therefore will not be released
with Debian, ever.  If you go through the list archives I think there are
a few people who have had these cards working under Debian.

> >"apt-get install xf86setup" if you want to try it.
>
> Que es este?  (translated: what is this?)

The way to install anything under Debian.  Type those 3 words at the
Debian command line and it will download & install xf86setup and anything
it depends on.

> >Otherwise, try "xf86config" which is the old text-based way to
>
> I *think* that this one wouldn't even run...

I very much doubt it.

If xf86config won't run (and IS installed), your system has _serious_
problems.

(Either at a hardware level, filesystem corruption, or badly installed
libraries etc)

 - Matt