[plug] Installing Debian

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 11:37:11 WST 2001

Matt Kemner wrote:

> > >"apt-get install xf86setup" if you want to try it.
> >
> > Que es este?  (translated: what is this?)
>
> The way to install anything under Debian.  Type those 3 words at the
> Debian command line and it will download & install xf86setup and anything
> it depends on.

... assuming the apt sources is set up correctly (to access CD or Network
sources).

> > >Otherwise, try "xf86config" which is the old text-based way to
> >
> > I *think* that this one wouldn't even run...

I thought Potato comes with a standard dialog-based X setup which is nicer than
xf86config? (Have you installed Potato from scratch off CDs, Matt, or just
upgraded existing Slinks? ^_^)

*rummage around the package lists*

One of those cool Debian setup utils that aren't there once you've finished
installing, and are hard to ever find again. ^_^

*keeps rummaging*

Aha!! I think I've found it!! It's called "anXious" (having that X in the
middle made it hard to find), and it's actually in the "xviddetect" package
(which made it harder to find).

So you could try running "anxious", and if you don't have it, you should be
able to "apt-get install xviddetect".

... not that it's a magic solution, but it's a simpler X config, that doesn't
require X to work at all initially.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :