[plug] Telnet/X unexpectedly quitting?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 11:54:23 WST 2001

Hi guys,

Since my laptop at work is a lowly P150/16M, whenever
I need to use X I generally start the server, and use
one of the servers (750MHz) for the window manager and
client programs. This is done by simply running xinit
(as opposed to startx), doing xhost +whatever on the
resulting xterm, then telnetting in and doing
gnome-session.

This generally works fine, but the last few days the
server has been kicking me off (terminates connection)
for no apparent reason. It seems to be mostly when the
connection has been idle, but sometimes at other times
as well. The severity ranges from simply closing the
connection on the original xterm (which is a little
inconvenient, but the X session is fine cause the
xterm is still there), to randomly closing
gnomeicu/netscape/whatever, to completely kicking me
out of X.

I'm not sure if it's just X, but I think I have been
kicked out of a plain telnet session on the console
(haven't used it much lately). The only thing we've
done to either computer is move the server inside the
storage room (it was previously rather closer).

Incidentally, the storage room has reinforced concrete
walls, and we're using wireless LAN cards for the
laptops, but the network bandwidth, etc in general is
fine. Also, telnetting into the server and then
telnet/ssh'ing from there into another machine is fine
(the session lasts). It's only when I'm actually using
that server.

Anyone seen anything like this?

TIA,
Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?