[plug] Installing Debian

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 12:52:34 WST 2001

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > (Have you installed Potato from scratch off CDs, Matt, or just
> > upgraded existing Slinks? ^_^)
>
> You mean upgraded existing bo installs? :) (via hamm & slink)
>
> I have installed plenty of servers from scratch though, but which
> obviously don't have X installed on them... :)

That's what I thought. ^_^
Now & again I install Potato from scratch, for a desktop PC. Esp for seeing how
quickly I can throw together a Quake3 capable box, before I have to install
Windoze for the client I'm setting the PC up for. ^_^;;;

> > Aha!! I think I've found it!! It's called "anXious" (having that X in the
> > middle made it hard to find), and it's actually in the "xviddetect" package
> > (which made it harder to find).
>
> Cool! I might have to give it a try sometime

It's dialog-based, you know the Debian style, asks less cryptic questions then
xf86config, gives choice of levels for Monitor setup (ie; basic ranges, down to
nitty gritty settings), and attempts to auto-detect which server to use. Not
too bad for a quickie-setup.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :