[plug] Installing Debian

Simon Scott (SSC) simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Mar 21 14:12:46 WST 2001

My server runs on debian, but personally Ive almost had enough of debian and
dselect.

Maybe I havent spent enough time with it, but all I want to do is setup a
server with apache mod-php and postegresql. Once Ive installed debian, it
tries to get an updated package list from the debian servers, which times
out (due to the adsl link needing clients to have a reduced MTU (I used
1412)). So once it has timed out, I set the mtu on eth0, and fire up
dselect. Once it goes thru its little updating stint again, Im confronted
with 4 billion packages, massive dependencies, and an interface that makes
me barf.... Invariably I install the wrong stuff (due to several packages
being for 'PHP', but in reality they require 'PHP 3' which I dont want to
install), get the shits, and switch the box off again.

Im thinking that RedHat 7 might be the go.

ps. for those who are interested, yes, this email was written from a
semi-devil's-advocate viewpoint to get the Debian lovers on list fired up :)