[plug] kylix sales pitch

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Thu Mar 22 21:47:40 WST 2001

Mike Holland wrote:
> This could be the start of a boom in desktop
> apps for linux, especially database-oriented ones.

Delphi is quite big in point-of-sale and industrial stuff because it's
quite easy to implement a sturdy system.  Running under Linux should
improve things over Windows you would hope.  Might be hard to get
customers interested in buying Kylix solutions for a while (compared to
Delphi), you would have to do something like point out that the
client-server database (MySQL I think they can use) is both a lot
cheaper and more appropriate than other SQL servers.  I think they are
looking a lot at Apache development as a big Kylix market, where the
customer doesn't have to move into a fleet of Linux PCs.

K.