[plug] kylix sales pitch

madco madco at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 22 11:44:12 WST 2001

At 11:37 22/03/2001 +0800, you wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, madco wrote:
>
> > I was there, they just introduced Kylix and some new features it had. It
>
>Most of the people there seemed to be Delphi developers, and the pitch was
>directed mainly to them.
>
>  Kylix could be a Big Thing in Linux. For the first time Linux has a
>sophisticated RAD environment. Delphi/Kylix use Borlands object-pascal
>language.
>
>   Kylix uses a new component set (widgets etc) called CLX
>("clicks") which can be used to replace the old windoze-only VCL.
>Where VCL wrapped windows components, CLX uses Qt from Trolltech, the
>same widget set used by KDE.  Delphi 6 on windows will have both VCL and
>CLX.
>   The Kylix IDE is not a totally native port yet, it still uses VCL
>and WINE libraries, but will be ported to CLX in future.
>
> > It is quite pricey though and I will wait for the student version to be
>
>You mean the 'free' version? It will be free download, but only for
>producing GPL (or private) software. We dont know how crippled it will be
>yet. I dont think there will be a student version too.
>   It all sounds really good. I'm sure we will all hear a lot more when the
>free version is released. This could be the start of a boom in desktop
>apps for linux, especially database-oriented ones.

There actually will be an academic or student version for students within
the next couple of weeks. It will have a similar pricing as the current
academic versions of Delphi. Academic Versions are a lot cheaper and
include the same product including the documentation :-)

But there will be a downloadable version two and as you said, Borland does
not know yet how many features it will put in there.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on Kylix.