[plug] CDROM & Mandrake 7.2

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Mar 23 19:18:25 WST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, [iso-8859-1] Wayne Vovil wrote:
> Even though it has an icon on the desktop (KDE and
> GNOME), I am unable to read from CD (I am trying to
> load Kylix from CD).
>
> I have tried mount / umount etc etc (Xterm too).
>
> I keep getting permission probs, yet when I look it
> seems ok. HEEEEELLLP!

Can you mount the cdrom as root? I'm not familiar with Mandrake but for
users to mount drives there has to be the "user" parameter in /etc/fstab
as follows:

/dev/cdrom    /cdrom  iso9660    defaults,ro,user,noauto   0   0

Well that's my line. Is the /dev/cdrom symlink pointing to the right
place? Otherwise the line in fstab will have to have /dev/cdrom replaced
with /dev/hdx where x is one of a-d depending where your cdrom drive is
conected to.

Also the user, I think, needs permission to access the disk, ie the drive
must have write access for the user that needs it. What does "ls -l
/dev/hd?" give?

Regards,

Bernard.

--