[plug] fsck on a running server. PHP3 on Apache

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Mar 24 00:33:42 WST 2001

List,

A couple of things, main one being:

How does one do a fsck on a live server without impairing too much
functionality for too long? Is it possible? My first thoughts were to copy
each partition elsewhere, eg, to another machine on the network, unmount
the original partition, remount the networked partition copy while I fsck
the original. Just the only flaw being I can't unmount the partition
because it's in use (namely /usr). Is there a way around this? Or am I
looking into dropping into single user mode for a while?

Secondly, I've been trying for a while to get PHP3 to run on Apache on my
RH6 server and it utterly refuses to. If I can't get this resolved on the
list and seeing I can't bring it in to Monday's meeting, will there be a
net connection available to let anyone take a browse from there?

TIA,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham