[plug] unsubscibe (newbie's perspective)

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Mar 26 10:06:12 WST 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:10:27AM +0000, Mike wrote:

> a.	Computers can be programmed to perform various tasks,
> 	easy to program it to handle unsub requests from the list
> 	members as well as via an admin list. Simple logic could
> 	handle the very requests (and several exceptions) that
> 	have recently occured.

So what happens when someone posts a question to the list and
inadvertently contains the word "unsubscribe" either in its subject line
or main body?  They get themselves unsubscribed from the list.  Unless
you can provide an answer or contra-argument to this then you are just
wasting time by re-iterating old arguments that have been raised and
rejected previously.

> c.	Linux is slowly getting some recognition and we need all the
> 	newbies we can get and then some more, the last thing you
> 	want to do is restrict in any way acess to learning and
> 	discussing with others linux and its issues.
> 	IMNSHO: REstricting subscriptions is like restricting education
> 	(which should be totally free - and I'm a capitalist).

Why do we need "all the newbies we can get and then some more"?  As a
capitalist do you equate newbies with wealth and thus want to get more
of them?  No one is proposing restricting subscriptions.  Simply
proposing that making them *harder* might help.  Making them harder
simply makes people who want to subscribe think *harder*.  It doesn't
prevent them from actually subscribing at all.  If a particular
individual doesn't end up subscribing because of this then either a)
they are really not very bright at all or b) they simply don't have the
patience/perserverance.  For either of these cases then they don't stand
a chance using Linux so we've lost nothing.  You might see this as
elitism but it's not.  It is simply stating the facts. Linux requires a
(very) basic level of intelligence and plenty of perseverance.

> Note:	To address c above we need a really broad based FAQ, from
> 	messages contributed by this local group - vectoring to
> 	a general fax is just plain lazy and won't be as dynamic
> 	illustrating how people can work together - part of the
> 	evolution of linux <hrrmm>

Would it help you to trim your quoted replies? :-)

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C