[plug] unsubscibe (newbie's perspective)

Mike erazmus at wantree.com.au
Mon Mar 26 01:10:27 WST 2001

mmm, as someone already mentioned, people will email the group
even though the unsub suffix is present on messages, that and the
extra b/w required suggest this is not the best solution or at
least address the idea it could be handled another way,

Are people forgetting something here ?

a.	Computers can be programmed to perform various tasks,
	easy to program it to handle unsub requests from the list
	members as well as via an admin list. Simple logic could
	handle the very requests (and several exceptions) that
	have recently occured.

b.	Wouldn't it be a nice demonstration of the powers of linux
	and cooperative intent of the group (vis a vis linux came
	together via open source cooperation), if the list software
	were expertly programmed to minimise non-effective list
	traffic - such as unsub requests, spam, bounces etc etc
	Note: Its occured to me that to handle erroneous traps
	on unsub requests, the list s/w email the person who
	made the request informing them of being unsubbed, that
	way if some poor plebe stumbles upon an unsub request whilst
	making a bonafide list message then they get alerted.

c.	Linux is slowly getting some recognition and we need all the
	newbies we can get and then some more, the last thing you
	want to do is restrict in any way acess to learning and
	discussing with others linux and its issues.
	IMNSHO: REstricting subscriptions is like restricting education
	(which should be totally free - and I'm a capitalist).

Note:	To address c above we need a really broad based FAQ, from
	messages contributed by this local group - vectoring to
	a general fax is just plain lazy and won't be as dynamic
	illustrating how people can work together - part of the
	evolution of linux <hrrmm>
	Here's a thought: For newbies, the list s/w append a note
	re where the FAQ is (as well as unsub info) for a rolling
	average number of messages. Say if person 'x' only emails
	once a month then they get a suffix note re FAQ and Unsub,
	if people send to the list more then 3 times a month or
	so then they get no suffix FAQ or unsub info.
	In fact, the list s/w should also send a FAQ/Unsub to anyone
	once each 6 months etc etc This is not mutally exclusive
	with list s/w handling unsubs sent to list,

Its amazing that people who have programming experience tend to be
less aware of their impact on others and can become so arrogant to assume
those without programming experience can not come up with solutions to
computer related problems. The traffic generated through a pair of
unsub requests demonstrates some of this,

Hasn't perl based string processing at least have the power to
handle unsub messages sent to the list - f...... easy if you ask
me and I ain't no perl programmer. F... I could do it in assembler
with a bleedin Z80, it ain't that hard - is it ?

<sigh>

Mike