[plug] unsubscibe ATTN: LIST OWNER

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Mon Mar 26 11:36:46 WST 2001

Simon Scott wrote:

>         How about subscribing them instantly? Stay with me, that way you
> could send the old test
>
>                 1. Read all points below before doing anything.
>                 2. Send an email to plug-request with the subject
> 'subscribe'. Any decent email client blah blah
>                 10. Do none of the points above. You are already subscribed
> and any action on your behalf will result in a permanent ban.....
>
>         If anyone responds to the email, add unsubscribe them and add them
> to the 'stupid' list :)

Which, of course, gets you thrown into the stupid list of list-designers
everywhere for designing a system open to abuse and fraudulent
subscription. :)
If we *were* to go down the 'intelligence test' route (and I'm not
saying we should(nt) what about making the confirmation address not
available in the reply-to or from header of the email but inside the
body of the instructions?  So you have to read the instructions, then
cut'n'paste the address which is presumably -below- the unsubscription
instructions.  This has the added benefit of looking more like an
administrative oversight than an elitist measure. :)

Steve
--
FreeBSD maestro.dhis.org 3.4-STABLE i386
11:30AM  up 13 days, 19:13, 3 users, load averages: 0.16, 0.06, 0.01