[plug] unsubscibe ATTN: LIST OWNER

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Mon Mar 26 13:26:49 WST 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Mike wrote:
> At 10:54 AM 26/3/2001 +0800, you wrote:
> >If they are trying to unsubscribe, I'd say "hopeless" is the right label.
> DO you mean they are always 'hopeless' or only sometimes during their
> learning process and should you attach such value judgement in any case ?

If you read the message where the word "hopeless" first appeared, it meant
that it was hopeless our trying to help them out with Linux.

> >> - some people still don't know the difference between the mail list and
> >> the 'instruction' list
> >MmHmm but those who do value the distinction.
> How is that relevant to list traffic and this unsub b/w issue ?

It's a reason not to muddy the unsubscription procedure.

> >> in fact, these days shouldn't the software be smart enough to
> >> weed out emails meant for the admin address -
> >Hell no. I sent an email to the list with a body consisting of the word
> >"unsubscribe" only a month or so ago. Some would even call it a valuable
> >contribution to the list. I would have been mortified if I'd been
> >unsubscribed. How would you distinguish between that message and the one
> >from mr. Helpdesk?
> See the logic and exception conditions posted to handle this,

Which are followed by a disclaimer from the author that they will only
handle the bulk of cases. Not good enough. By my reading, it wouldn't have
handled the case I am talking about. (except maybe the rule that turned
the filter off for known troublemakers like me. :)

-Greg Mildenhall