[plug] IPCHAINS

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Mar 26 13:59:51 WST 2001

	A few things I can help with

	a) port 6635 is an unpriveleged port, so it could be anything. More
than likely someone rooted your box and opened it to come back to later.
	b) IPCHAINS isnt a process, its a set of rules that the kernel uses
to accept/deny connections. Your setup in rc.local sounds valid. check dmesg
to see if any errors occur on boot.
	c) If you are talking about using a server to give internet access
to a lan, you might want to setup ip masquerading which is little more (if
it is compiling into the kernel) that turning it on via the proc directory
and a few ipchains rules. I constructed mine via a howto, but Ive forgotten
its name.
	d) You can use tools to test the validity of the rules, nmap I
believe and some other stuff.... Basically to check that its working run a
portscan on yourself :) Check which ports are open and anything that is open
either close or find out what has it open and remain on top of patches for
that tool.

	Im practically a newbie (so I dont need me :) and I have the worst
memory for details so take this with a grain of salt, but Im sure someone
will correct me.