[plug] Re: Kylix

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 26 21:06:16 WST 2001

Wayne Vovil wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have bought so called academic priced products many
> times, and the only REAL restriction I have
> encountered is that you cannot UPGRADE (although even
> this is possible in some cases); say that you have a
> product version 6.0 and 7.0 comes out, you cannot
> upgrade an academic version, you must purchase a
> further academic version of 7.0.
>
> However, in all cases I have encountered so far, the
> academic price is cheaper than the upgrade!
>
> For info, the academic price of Kylix will be $220.
>
> Wayne
> --- madco <madco at iinet.net.au> wrote: > At 14:05

> > technology - $1953 for

> > academic version and
> > full-time suffices :)
> > >
> > ><opinion = on, susbtantiation level = low>
> > >
> > >I think you'll find that the license agreement for
> > 'Student' says that you
> > >are NOT allowed to produce code for any commercial
> > purpose.  This is the
> > >biggest (and only real) restriction on educational
> > versions of commercial
> > >compilers.
> > >
> > ></opinion>
> >
> > Does it say that? I thought the only restriction was
> > that you could not
> > sell it to anyone but students and academics.
> >

> > >- Brian.
> > Christian

I have had academic software (and, still have), and, have upgraded from
some of it.

My understanding, is that the terms and conditions that apply to
academic software, depend on the manufacturer. It may happen, that
academic software does not have the printed documentation that is
included in the commercial version of the software, and, it may happen
that the academic version has all the inclusions of the commercial
version. Generally, the restrictions, from my experience, are that
academic versions of software can only be sold to people who provide
evidence of current full-time student enrolment (although, that depends
on the vendor), or, to academic institutions, and, that the software may
only be used for educational purposes; that is, it may not be used for
commercial purposes, such as generating software or products for gain,
and, also may not be used in a commercial setting (eg, using an academic
version of MS Word, in a business, eg, in an office, whether it be a
home office or an office with multiple staff), and, the software may
only be used while the person is an eligible student.

I have had no problems, when I have wanted to upgrade from an academic
edition, to the commercial version, or, to a later version.

The fundamental principle, as applies to many devices, is "If all else
follows, read the instructions.".

In other words, when the academic edition becomes available, read the
appropriate licensing agreement, that is applicable to the particular
product. All else is speculation, as, what may apply to one product, may
not apply to another product. And, the GNU licensing scenario is one
that does not generally apply to software licenses for software
unrelated to GNU-oriented products, so, you may have to unlearn all you
know about other software licenses, for the license terms and conditions
that are applicable to this particular product.

Loop: read the previous two paragraphs.
End (less) loop.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988