[plug] Database Recomendations

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Thu Mar 29 10:58:38 WST 2001

	Altho I love postgresql, and php, Id have to disagree

	Postgresql is too slow for what he wants. He would be better off
with mysql, msql or perhaps even a C-ISAM solution. C-ISAM is definitely the
fastest technology you can get (non relational flat files) but Im not sure
about about solutions under linux. I did see someone writing a perl module
to cater for C-ISAM, but I think it was only to read files create with other
C-ISAM based products.

	For all out balls-to-the-wall speed, you cant go past C-ISAM.
Otherwise try MSQL or MySQL. Postgresql has a feature set as big as texas,
and the speed can suffer for it with large datasets (at least thats what I
keep hearing, I havent witnessed it myself :)

	In short, I recommend that you alter your requirements to suit
postgres :)

	Postgres! :) I love this DB, it allows CGI/C/C++/Java connectivity
	through specially designed class's/modules. And its fully
relational! :)

	Postgres ;)

	Im under the impressoin PHP is quite processor and memory
	intensive. Correct guys?

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com