[plug] Free CD linux - any good ?

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Mar 30 12:00:05 WST 2001

>486's are still incredibly useful machines, esp the one that started this
>thread. A 133mhz 486 can run a good deal of daemons, compile a 2.2 kernel is
>15 minutes. Now XT's, thats a tin can and string machine.

Yep, I still boot up my 486/33 on occassion to play with networking. Also
use a windows 486 booting off a toms rtb floppy  as a text console (ie
second screen) to my main computer. Which is a humble 166MHz cyrix chip
(P200+) cpu.

A celeron, as out of date as they are, is something I'm still dreaming
about at this point. (well I'll probably go straight to athlon/duron anyway
once I get back from travels).

cheers,

Dave.