[plug] Free CD linux - any good ?

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 30 16:05:03 WST 2001

Beau Kuiper wrote:

> Most computer enthusiests are not excessivly rich Mike. I could only afford
> to get rid of my last 486 about a month ago. I see many, many people in far
> worse situations than me. People who haven't even upgraded past a pentium
> chip yet.

Well that must make me the official pauper of this list then :).  My
FreeBSD machine which does all my network services is a Cyrix 586 and my
desktop machine which runs linux is a Pentium 200.  I can do everything
I want (although faster compilation is always nice) except play the
latest games, but even so with the help of a voodoo I can play up to
Quake III.  Prior to mid '98 I was happily using the 586 as a desktop, I
tend to buy a good processor and say I'm gonna be happy with it for the
next 2 years, which probably means I'm a bit overdue for an upgrade now.
  But contrary to many peoples belief the mere presence of a faster
processor on the market doesn't have an adverse effect on your own
processors performance.  It's still running as fast as the day you
bought it.  Really. :-)

Steve
--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 4:00PM  up 17 days, 23:43, 2 users, load averages: 0.25, 0.07, 0.02