[plug] Good config for low-end pentium (was Free CD linux - any good ?)

Bruce Fountain B_Fountain at motherwell.com.au
Fri Mar 30 16:40:23 WST 2001

Steve Vertigan wrote:
> Well that must make me the official pauper of this list then :).  My
> FreeBSD machine which does all my network services is a Cyrix
> 586 and my
> desktop machine which runs linux is a Pentium 200

When you are ready to upgrade maybe you would like to pass
one of these along to me. Would someone like my Pentium 60?
Comes with the original FDIV bug (this could be a collectors
item one day).

But seriously, what do people recommend for a P60 with 32MB RAM
and a 1G SCSI hard disk? I am currently running RH5.1. I have
been holding off upgrading because I couldn't think of any good
reason to do so, but it looks like I will be doing some work from
home and this means I need an up-to-date development environment.

I have a stormix (debian) distribution that I was going to try
out over the weekend. Any other recommendations are welcome - main
priority being getting it up and running with a minimum of fuss
(especially configuring X and PPP).

I would really like to try out KDE but I don't know whether it
would be usable on a low end system. I could just run fvwm2 (as
I have been up until now) but I would like to play around with
some GUI development and I guess that means QT.

Bruce

This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
Group may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
nzpostmaster at mi-services.com and do not use, disclose,
copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.