[plug] Good config for low-end pentium (was Free CD linux - any good ?)

Aunty Jack delilah at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 30 21:16:28 WST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Bruce Fountain wrote:

> When you are ready to upgrade maybe you would like to pass
> one of these along to me. Would someone like my Pentium 60?
> Comes with the original FDIV bug (this could be a collectors
> item one day).
>
> But seriously, what do people recommend for a P60 with 32MB RAM
> and a 1G SCSI hard disk? I am currently running RH5.1. I have
> been holding off upgrading because I couldn't think of any good
> reason to do so, but it looks like I will be doing some work from
> home and this means I need an up-to-date development environment.
>
> I have a stormix (debian) distribution that I was going to try
> out over the weekend. Any other recommendations are welcome - main
> priority being getting it up and running with a minimum of fuss
> (especially configuring X and PPP).
>
> I would really like to try out KDE but I don't know whether it
> would be usable on a low end system. I could just run fvwm2 (as
> I have been up until now) but I would like to play around with
> some GUI development and I guess that means QT.
>
> Bruce

Well i'm running kde 1 on a pentium 75 and have been for ages. it's ok.
staroffice kills it pretty bad tho. having extra ram helps a lot! upgraded from
32m to 80 m and loading a file with s.o. dropped from over a minute to 20
seconds.

my "other machine" is a 66MHz 486 with 32meg ram - runs kde veery slo....wly
but it's quite ok with blackbox !

Aunty.