[plug] Detecting NE2000 during installation (Red Hat)

Lex Edmonds lexedm at ami.com.au
Fri Mar 30 23:31:38 WST 2001

I have been unable to get Linux to recognise my NE2000 during installation.
The most recent distribution I tried it with is Red Hat 7.0.

I usually use \DOSUTILS\AUTOBOOT.BAT rather than creating a boot floppy, or
booting directly off the CD.

I have tried it with a number of NE2000-compatibles, all of them ISA
(rather than PCI).

After installation, I have ended up adding a 'modprobe ne io=0x300' to the
top of rc.networking, but I get
the feeling that there must be a better way of doing it.

** Is there some way I can tell the install script to recognise my NE2000,
so it will configure it correctly?
A command-line parameter I can use?

** If not, is my method of updating rc.network the best (ie recommended)
way of doing it.

Any clues would be gratefully received,
Lex