[plug] Detecting NE2000 during installation (Red Hat)

Kai vk6ksj at siwa.com.au
Sat Mar 31 00:00:15 WST 2001

Funny, Red Hat 5.2 never had any trouble detecting, configuring and
installing my NE2000 clone card ? what's changed in 7.0?

If you watch very closely during bootup does it say something to the
effect of:
Delaying initialisation eth0 NE2000 PCI [insert I/O and IRQ info here]
?

Once your machine boots, have you tried this as root:
[root at yourmachine root]# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
up
(of course replace 192.168.0.1 with the IP address you want your card to
have)
then check /var/log/messages for any info that relates to the eth0
interface.

For a much more in dept look at how to configure your ethernet
interfaces, check here:
http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/index.html
and check under the section that details how to configure your ethernet
interface.

I think you might want to check if your NE2000 is at the address you're
refferenced, correct me if I'm wrong but that can be done by typing:
cat /proc/interrupts
and checking for the NE2000 info?

I hope that's useful to you.

/Kai