[plug] IDE Drives vs. SCSI

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed May 2 17:19:14 WST 2001

On Wednesday 02 May 2001 16:53, Brian Tombleson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know SCSI are better than IDE is almost every way, but I'm wondering if
> anyone has any experience with IDE drives in a server/multi-access
> situation where they die (lock/freeze) when handling multiple simultaneous
> requests for disk access?
>
> I have one source saying that "SCSI is recommended because (of above)" ..
> but they are talking exclusively about NT platforms.  Is it an OS issue or
> a hardware one?
>
> Any info/expereiences welcome.
>
> - Brian.

Huh,

I have never experienced IDE drives cause system lockups EVER. (an I am not
nice to my ide drives). Not under dos, linux, windows NT or even windows
95/98.

IDE drives may be far slowing in handling multiple requests, but they don't
lock systems up (unless they are very poor drives)

The thread killer,
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au