[plug] IDE Drives vs. SCSI

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed May 2 17:31:39 WST 2001

Brian Tombleson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know SCSI are better than IDE is almost every way, but I'm wondering if
> anyone has any experience with IDE drives in a server/multi-access situation
> where they die (lock/freeze) when handling multiple simultaneous requests
> for disk access?
>
> I have one source saying that "SCSI is recommended because (of above)" ..
> but they are talking exclusively about NT platforms.  Is it an OS issue or a
> hardware one?
>
> Any info/expereiences welcome.
>
> - Brian.

It probably comes down to how well the IDE driver serialises the requests.
I believe SCSI is better under multi-process systems because of tagged command
queueing, which the newer IDE drives support, but no IDE drivers exist yet, except
on Mr Hedrick's machine, for any OS to use this feature.

I know running a multi-threaded kernel compile, on a single processor machine
is faster over plain old scsi-ii than a UDMA66 on my machine, purely due to the
drive being able to collect the data in a more efficient fashion, but on my
fileserver, over a 100BaseT network, with about 20 clients, ide/scsi come out almost
even.

--
Brad....
                   /"\