[plug] WebCams & Linux...

Mike Roberts mroberts at it.net.au
Thu May 3 13:58:02 WST 2001

On Thursday 03 May 2001 13:52, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Several small application ideas have come up relating to WebCams, so I've
> been looking into WebCams and Linux support. Has anyone else played
> (worked?) with this before?
>
> Another area had two webcams, a Kodak DVC324, and a Logitech QuickCam Web,
> both apparently without any Linux support. I'm considering pleading with
> The Boss to get some funds to get our own, specifically for Linux testing.
>
> At the moment, I'm considering the Philips Vesta Pro (PCVC680K), since it
> seems decent, and Linux support is available.
>
> Does anyone have a reccommended cam? (Or just general comments on their
> experiences?)

I picked up a Phillips Vesta a couple of months ago and it was one of the
easiest peices of hardware I have ever got running.

I just patched the kernel with the Phillips USB drivers, recompiled the
kernel, loaded the modules and away it went. The drivers so far have been
keeping up to date with the kernel tree (lag of less than a week), so even
when there is a new kernel version you can keep the cam going.

I highly recommend it.

Mike.