[plug] Operating systems on the Internet

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu May 3 14:25:41 WST 2001

Can anyone give me a pointer to a breakdown of host computers on the
Internet, by operating system?

I am involved in a small mathematical modelling project, and, we are
investigating modelling the propagation of viruses on the Internet. From
what I understand, viruses and worms, each tend to be operating system
dependent, so the propagation and infection, would, I assume, depend on
the operating system that they encounter.

I have an estimate of 200 million host computers on the Internet, for
January 2001, and, a qualified estimate of the breakdown of host
computers on the Internet, by operating system, would be also useful, in
considering the model.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988