[plug] iiNet ADSL experience

J j at vrl.com.au
Thu May 3 14:45:35 WST 2001

> Is there anything technically different between an ADSL line from iiNet or
> someone else (Tel$tra, etc...)?

Major difference is thus:

iiNets adsl modem/routers are the same alcatel speedtouch
modems mentioned in the recent bugtraq advisories, but they are
configured differently.

iiNets are configured as bridge routers with their own subnet.  You
typically configure an ethernet interface with the outgoing subnet ip
(or alias one) and use it as default gateway out.

bigpond home or whatever it is called uses PPPoE.  I *think* the
bigond corporate does the same, but they are nearly separate
companies and are known to compete with each other.

with iinet you get static IP's, I think t$ use some form of DHCP to
set the IP.

I have had a bit of experience with both.