[plug] re opening linuxconf

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Sat May 5 22:16:37 WST 2001

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> although I like the idea of package management, I find it rather hard to
> use because:
> 1) I keep breaking the system. I killed the debian apt system by using
> Cntl-c to stop a package install.

Eeeg. That's not a good idea, but it wouldn't typically leave the system
in an unrecoverable state? Might take some understanding of the packaging
system to make it consistent again, though. :(

> 2) I find that I wan't to compile packages with different settings than
> the package has.

Which package-management system stops you from doing that? Obviously you
will have to take a little care of your configuration, but still not as
much care as you must with no package management at all.

> In short, I am a control freak, at least on my computers

So why are you running all these programs that other people wrote? ;)

-Greg Mildenhall