[plug] re opening linuxconf

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sat May 5 21:03:06 WST 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Michael Hunt wrote:

> Beau Wrote:
>
> > Until distributions decide to get their hands onto the scripts, where they
> > install dozens of the buggers and send the tendrals of the scripts all
> > over the filesystem.
> >
> > And I absolutely hate it when programs attempt to auto install the stupid
> > SysV scripts on my slackware system. I find it highly offensive that a
> > program decides it should be automaticly started whenever I turn the
> > computer on. I would rather decide on that myself.
> >
> > Anyway, I love my slackware and its very simple BSD scripts.
> >
> > Beau Kuiper
> > kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
>
> Well Beau your slackware line explains it all !!!! Why not run a true BSD
> system instead of going half way *grin* :-).
>
> By the way what is the intended start-up script format for the Linux
> Standard Base ??? If it is SysV then you could find yourself being even more
> out in the cold (or finding slackware changes its start-up script format to
> comply) !!!

Ha, watch me rip it out and replace it with BSD scripts. I use linux
instead of BSD because:

1) It doesn't do the slice partitioning stuff, and it co-exists with
windows better.
2) Because NVIDIA have linux drivers for 3d. (I would prefer source code
for them but I understand and agree with NVIDIA's position on the matter)
3) I have always used slackware linux (tried redhat for a while, but
didn't like it)
4) It is easier to get linux kernel updates. (there is probably an easy
way to get new BSD kernel, I never found out how)

On another note, although I like the idea of package management, I find it
rather hard to use because:

1) I keep breaking the system. I killed the debian apt system by using
Cntl-c to stop a package install.
2) I find that I wan't to compile packages with different settings than
the package has.

In short, I am a control freak, at least on my computers
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au