[plug] Possible Job Offer

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon May 7 16:54:56 WST 2001

	Hah. Interesting.

	I especially like the 'how to keep your job' part. To me that is the
number one thing most managers concentrate on.

	I dont really think 'management' is something that most techies
would aspire to. Middle management is the safest place to store morons -
they arent on the tools so they cant damage the end product directly, and
they dont run the place so they cant damage the company directly.

	So, in short, my response would be

	a) What is it to be a manager? Being a manager means long days of
creating Excel spreadsheets that are limited in use, but thats ok cos noone
reads them anyway
	b) Qualifications? If you are doing at IT degree and aspire to be a
manager, bad luck. Youll either suck at IT so hard noone will trust you in a
management position, or youll be so useful in IT that theyll never want to
promote you. Go do a commerce degree.
	c) How to keep your job? Persitantly get others to sign off on
decisions that they made based on your flawed input, and then look the other
way when they get burned. Never make a decision yourself. Do work which is
pure gray area and has no valid right or wrong, like performance appraisal
or project estimation. At every opportunity, take the credit for others good
work, but only when you are positive that it is indeed good work.

	Basically, as Rove would say, 'What the?'