[plug] Telstra cable

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Wed May 9 16:10:54 WST 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Liam (Testius) wrote:

Hi Liam,

> Hey,
> i heard that Telstra BPA cable just became avaliable in perth,
> and i was wondering if anyone was getting it or has it.

Personally, I wouldn't be getting it.

Apparently it uses a windows-specific authentication protocol that isn't
PPP over ethernet or anything like that. I've heard that people have tried
to get it going with Linux and have failed.

The big pond software for windows apparently also refuses to work in
computers with more than one ethernet interface.

And if it did work under linux, there is a huge big firewall on it which
prevents anything but the most common services through. (not even ICQ).
Although they could have changed this recently.

Regards,

 --
Gavin Rogers,                    | Car Sickness - that feeling you get
Systems Administrator            | when the monthly payment falls due.