[plug] Telstra cable

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed May 9 16:14:58 WST 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:10:54PM +0800, Gavin Rogers wrote:
> Apparently it uses a windows-specific authentication protocol that isn't
> PPP over ethernet or anything like that. I've heard that people have tried
> to get it going with Linux and have failed.

Not true. In fact an ex-work mate from Sydney is the maintainer of the BPA
login software for linux. It's been ported to many other platforms too:

	http://bpalogin.sourceforge.net

> And if it did work under linux, there is a huge big firewall on it which
> prevents anything but the most common services through. (not even ICQ).
> Although they could have changed this recently.

I don't know about this... But ADSL seems to be handled in the same was as
cable and I haven't found any weird firewalling problems.

Later,

Jason Nicholls