[plug] [Semi-OT] Video editing

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 11:50:42 WST 2001

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone knows of any decent (free) video
editors (don't want to pay several thousand dollars
for a one-off) ? Linux based would be nice but not
essential.

To elaborate: we have a MPEG-1 video file (12 minutes
long, 150Mb)\), with a 10 second segment in the middle
which we need to cut out. (Splitting it into two files
on either side of the segment is a possibility if
needed.) It then ultimately needs to be converted to
RealMedia format.

We have access to RealProducer basic so can go via one
of its input formats (eg. AVI).

Most promising program I've seen is ffmpeg (sorry, no
URL handy), which converts from MPG to AVI, but it
seems to require input from a video4linux source,
rather than an existing file. Maybe there is a way to
force it to read the file instead?

TIA
Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?