[plug] [OT] Eftel Radiowan

alan howard alanh at wn.com.au
Tue May 15 18:57:47 WST 2001

On Tuesday 15 May 2001 12:11, Mike wrote:
> From the perspective of UHF - trees and small buildings are not
> considered obstacles as UHF goes straight through buildings
> unless they are made from steel reinforced concrete and trees
> (although core conductive) don't attenuate microwaves that
> much at all - unless its raining very heavily and the tree
> has a full leafy spread,
>
> A hill/mountain or large reinforced concrete building is more
> of an obstacle. Effectively - can you 'site' the other party
> easily - if so then microwaves of that freq will generally
> get trhough,
>
> rgds
>
> Mike

hi mike and others.
i've had some experiance with low power ( 2-20w) uhf telivision
transmitters/translaters/repeaters in the tropical part of the NT and dense
trees laiden with moisture will certainly badly attenuate signals in the 700
-814 Mhz region . I suspect this effect would be even worse at 2.4Ghz and at
11-12 Ghz ( sattellite ) it attenuates the signal below the LNC's (low noise
(down) converter) noise floor causing total loss of signal
rgds
alan howard.