[plug] two flavours of linux (still trying, still learning)

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue May 15 09:06:26 WST 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Ari Finander wrote:

> I'm trying to get RedHat7.0 and Debian 2.2r2 to run on the same HDD

> having trouble with each other sharing the swap partition, /home,
> /boot, and /usr.  The trouble comes from different libraries and

Sharing /usr !!!??  Oh my gawd.  You wont have two distros,
you'll have Ari-ware distro - a total dogs breakfast :)

Out of curiosity, how much disk space did that "save"? ie what was the
overlap? (du, compared to separate installs)

> versions of programs in /lib and /sbin.  I'm wondering which
> partitions they should share to minimise space, and which ones should
> be separate?  Obviously they'll be sharing /home, /boot, and the swap
> partition....which others would you recommend?  Why or why not?

You might share /usr/local, for "manually" installed programs, though
thats still asking for a little trouble.
home and swap, naturally.
  Why /boot? It'd be a big hassle to avoid name conflicts there.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--