[plug] Wireless Networking - Any Advice

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Tue May 15 12:10:31 WST 2001

Mark Bailey wrote:

> Hi group.
>
> I wish to set up a wireless network at home between
> my Linux box and a couple of Win98 machines.
>
> Can anyone advise on some appropriately priced and locally
> available (Aust) hardware that is compatible?
> I had a look at the Netgear access point and cards but seems
> like they have no drivers for Linux. Is this an issue or
> will they work?

First point is, except in unusual cases you don't need an access point
at all, they are overpriced rubbish.  [Puts flame suit on.]

I have had success under Linux with Cabletron cards which I got from a
mob called Prodigital Solutions (www.prodigital.net.au).  If you want
something cheaper, I've got some secondhand Netcomm cards which come
with Linux drivers which work fine under Windows - I haven't actually
got them working with Linux yet so caveat emptor.  Say $200 each (RRP is
about twice that).  The Prodigital guys are the same people who are
responsible for the PWNP (Perth Wireless Networking Project).  Express
Data also sell stuff, but they are more expensive (even wholesale).

--
Independent consulting solicitor* | _ .__ ._ _    |\/| _.| _ _ |._ _
and technology consultant.**    \_|(/_|(/_| | |\/ |  |(_||(_(_)|| | |
* http://www.ilaw.com.au ** http://www.terminus.net.au jm at ilaw.com.au